Sick notes

Click here to request a continuation sick note

There are strict legal guidelines that doctors have to follow when issuing sick notes. Sick notes are done at the discretion of the GP and requests can be refused. If the GP wishes to see you, you may need to make an appointment.

About Sick-Notes

  • You do not need to see the doctor for an illness lasting less than 7 days.
  • You only need a doctor's certificate during the first seven days of illness if you wish to claim benefits other than Statutory Sick Pay: For example, benefits under the private insurance scheme, or to take your pre-booked holiday as sick leave instead.
  • Hospital doctors provide certificates for patients who are currently in hospital.
  • If your employer insists, then the doctor can issue you with a private certificate for a small fee.
  • For more information about Sick notes click here to visit NHS Directs website

Self Certificates

  • You do not normally need a doctor's certificate for the first seven days of illness
  • The Statutory Sick Pay Regulations state that employers are required to accept self-certification notes (filled in by you) for the first seven days of illness. These are available from your employer.
  • You do not require any form of certification during the first four days off work.
  • If you take up to seven days because you not well enough to attend work, then you must fill in a self-certificate.
  • Anything over seven days means you will need a doctor's certificate and will need to visit a doctor to acquire this.
  • Click here to find more information about Self Certification on the HM Revenue & Customs website

Private Sick-Note

  • Some employers or insurance schemes may ask you to provide a private sick note.
  • There will be a fee if you require a private note for the first seven days of your illness

The practice will be able to advise you of the current fee, and it would normally be expected that your employer would cover this cost for you as doctor's notes are not normally required for the first week of any illness.

For more information visit HM Revenue & Customs website by clicking here

rotating image