Our history

In the beginning the residents of Hanham were seen by Dr Perrott who came once a week from Kingswood in his pony and trap, which he left tied up outside the premises of a wet fish shop (Cartwrights fish mongers). This was opposite Aston house (now a travel agent) near the Maypole Public House. He used the front room of Mrs Hooper's house at 2 Laburnum road.

1934 Dr Ridgeway founded the practice when he was given the Hanham end of the Kingswood Practice of Henry, Grace, Perrott and Macdonald. He first practiced from a small outbuilding of his home in Hanham High Street. He dispensed medicine through a small hatch in the side of the building. This building stands today a little different to our modern building we are lucky to have now!

1943 Dr Ridgeway volunteered for the navy and held the position of surgeon. There was a public outcry and people petitioned to have him returned to Hanham, because his leaving had left them without a resident doctor. He did not return to Hanham until 1945, at the end of the war.

1946 The premises at 128 High Street, Hanham were acquired and Dr Orton became Dr Ridgeway's first partner. A small branch surgery was run in Longwell Green

1956 Surgery Extended. Three consulting suites and a treatment room were built into the garden of No. 128 at a total cost of £7,500 and the branch surgery facility improved at Longwell Green with the acquisition of our own house

1953-1963 Doctors Dobson-Smyth, Bickford and Moffitt joined the practice

1963 Dr Willis replaced Dr Ridgeway when he retired

1968 130 High Street acquired The adjoining High Street property was acquired and an extensive conversion was undertaken at a cost of £12,500 providing five consulting suites, increased office and treatment room accommodation plus space for attached ancillary staff

1972 Betty Yard appointed as Practice Manager

1973 In December the branch surgery at Longwell Green closed

1976 In June a case of polio was reported in a Hanham patient. Queues for doctor appointments stretched along the pavement and immunisation sessions were arranged at Hanham Folk Centre. There was even TV coverage!

1979 Dr Orton reduced to part-time in April and Dr Whiteside joined the practice in August. In April Marion Curnock also joined the practice as Auxiliary District Nurse

1981 The sudden death of Dr Bickford in March. Dr Dobson-Smyth reduced to part-time when Dr Orton retired. Dr's Illingworth and Raine join the practice making five full-time doctors

1983 Melita Blanning joined the Health Visitor team

1984 Dr Raine leaves the practice to "take up the cloth"

1985 Dr Dobson-Smyth retired in April. In January Dr Bailey joined the practice. At the same time Doctor Clare Fleming joined us and in April Christine Flook joined our reception team. Dr Moffitt takes up the reins as Senior Partner

1989 Sister Rosa Badman, midwife at Hanham since 1974, retired in April. On 22nd March a Brother electronic typewriter was purchased - great excitement!

1991 In May Dr Dobson-Smyth passed away at his home aged 70. Dr Euphan Hunter joined the practice in November and Dr Moffitt retired on 31st December making Dr Willis the New Senior Partner. Dr Fleming retires due to ill health

1992 Dr Taylor joins the practice. The practice acquired the bungalow beside the surgery which became the home of the Health Visitors and District Nurses until the new premises were ready

1993 Dr Hunter went on Maternity leave in October. Her baby son, Calum, was born in December. Melita Blanning (Health Visitor) left after ten years and was replaced by Sue Garland in August

1994 Hanham Surgery moved to it's new premises in Whittucks Road on 12th December. In October Dr Hunter left to go to Ireland

1995 On 31st December Dr Willis retired from the practice. Dr Bernard Whiteside is now Senior Partner. Vicky Nichols joined the secretarial team. Dr Illingworth elected as a fellow of the Royal College of General practioners (FRCGP)

1996 Betty Yard retires On 2nd January after 24 years as practice manager. Mrs Cath Nagle took over the reigns as practice manager. Dr Mark Bigwood arrived as locum. Three months later he was appointed partner. In April Dr Liz Harrison and Dr Sue Lowrey joined the practice, both part-time.

1997 Secretarial Changes, Linda John joined the secretarial team in August and in November Joyce Harris completed 30 years of secretarial service with the practice. Dr Aderogba started as GP registrar

1998 Dr Sarah Pepper started as GP registrar

1999 New Secretary Lyn Pugh started as part-time secretary but became full-time following year. Dr Gavin Durrant started as GP registrar

2000 Dr James Cross starts as GP registrar. Outbreak of broken ankles! Dr Bailey and Lyn Pugh manage to fracture their right ankles within two days of each other causing much speculation!

2001 Dr Liz Harrison left the practice for pastures new. Dr Ayo Aderogba, who had already been doing locum work at the surgery, and Dr Joanna Richards joined our team as full-time doctors and Dr Sarah Pepper, who also had been doing some locum work, became a permanent member of staff on a part-time basis. Dr Rohan Perera was our new GP Registrar.

rotating image